Your garage door is a prominent part of your Minneapolis home. A new garage door is a worthwhile investment that will add value and curb appeal. Whether your old garage door needs replacing or you simply want to give your home a fresh new look, here is what you should know as you choose your new garage door.
When Do You Need a New Garage Door?
How do you know if your garage door needs to be replaced? Look for these warning signs.
- Age. Garage doors typically last between fifteen and thirty years, depending on their quality and how well they’re maintained. If your garage door is older, it might need to be replaced.
- Excessive noise. A new garage door operates smoothly and fairly quietly. A lot of noise when your garage door opens and closes may indicate a problem with one of the components.
- Damage to the door. Small scratches can be repaired. However, extensive damage like cracks or sagging means it’s time for a new garage door.
Choosing a New Garage Door: Factors to Consider
Here are some key considerations when selecting your new garage door.
Use of the Garage
You can do a lot more in your garage than simply park your car. When choosing a new garage door, it’s important to consider all the ways you plan to use your garage.
Do you use your garage mainly for storage? Choose a strong door that offers security and privacy. If you have a workshop in your garage, natural light is an important concern. You’ll need a garage door with windows to let in plenty of light and keep your workspace open and bright. Consider soundproofing if you plan to use a lot of power tools.
Proper insulation is critical if you plan to use your garage during the Minneapolis winter. Even if your garage is heated, you’re losing warmth if your garage door is not insulated. Insulated garage doors are generally quieter than non-insulated doors, and are less liable to come out of alignment. Discuss the best insulation options with your garage door contractor.
Garage doors come in several different materials. Each one has its own benefits and drawbacks.
- Wooden garage doors look beautiful and can be designed to perfectly complement the style of your home. However, they are more expensive than other options and require more maintenance.
- Steel is one of the most popular garage door materials. Steel doors stand up well against the elements and are available in a variety of styles. Steel can also be painted to match your home’s exterior design. Steel garage doors require less maintenance than wooden doors. The downside of a steel door is that it may dent, which can be difficult to repair.
- Aluminum garage doors are lightweight, making aluminum a popular choice for wide double doors. Aluminum resists rust and corrosion. Newer models are dent-resistant and more sturdy than earlier versions. If you choose an aluminum door with a heavy-duty frame, the price tag will be a bit higher.
A lot of modern garage doors are equipped with smart technology. With a smart garage door, you won’t have to worry that you’ve left the garage door open. A smart garage door lets you access it from anywhere, right from your phone. Some smart doors offer features like voice control and remote access, while others simply let you use your smartphone as a garage door opener. Choosing the best option for your home depends on what features you need and what “smart home” platforms you are comfortable using.
When you’re ready to invest in a new garage door, the experts at Advanced Garage Solutions will help you select the best option for your home. Contact us today to schedule your Minneapolis garage door installation.